"The Lass Wore Black" Review

"The Lass Wore Black"
by Karen Ranney

Publisher: Avon
Release Date: Jan 29, 2013
Source: sent by publicist (TLC)

My Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars

Summary from goodreads.com:
Catriona Cameron was once famed for her seductive beauty and charm. Now she saw no one, hiding from the world...and no one dared break through her self-imposed exile.

No one, that is, until Mark Thorburn burst into her home, and Catriona's darkened world began to have color again. Thorburn, secretly the heir to an Earldom, claimed he was a footman. But Catriona didn't care about the scandal their passion could cause...for this very touch sparked her back to a life of sensuality, one she thought she'd never have again.

Little does she know that Mark is part of a masquerade. One that will end when they become the target of a madman set on revenge. Mark realizes he will have to do more than win her love...he will have to save her life as well.

My Review:

I love this author's books and this story was no exception. She has a great way of making the characters so believable and you can really feel their love for each other.

I liked that the two lead characters were a bit different from the norm. It's interesting to see how Catriona learns to accept her scars and her new self. Mark, being a doctor, is quite a change from the usual titled hero in historical romances. He has a different type of confidence that comes from pride in his work instead of a title. Since Catriona's aunt takes on a lot of servants that have fallen on bad times and have secrets in their past, it was totally believable that Catriona knew Mark wasn't used to being a footman, while also not finding it suspicious.

The murder subplot is never my favorite in romances, but I chose to overlook it in my review. I loved the rest of the story so much as well as the characters, that it was easy to look past it.


Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5
Setting: 4/5

Romance: 4/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Writing: 5/5


Bottom Line: A lovely romance with two great leads that are much different from the everyday historical romance heroine and hero.




Find Karen Ranney on the web:
KarenRanney.com
Facebook
Twitter

Follow along with the rest of the tour.

9 comments

  1. Believable characters and experiencing love with them are great qualities in a book. Glad you enjoyed.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like Ranney's murder subplots, I find them distracting from the love story but the it sounds like the love story in this book can stand it.
    I'm going to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review!! I really like Karen Ranney, but I haven't had a chance to read this yet...I will definitely have to get it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you really liked this one,but she's wrapped in his plaid, how could you not??? I'm telling you we need to move to Scotland! The Highlands particularly. Search for the Loch Ness monster and find us some fine Highlanders. Of course, my husband might object, but if you're single, I could take you over there and give you my approval! What do you think? Oh and we could read, too!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of burned out on Scottish romances a few years ago (who knew that was possible?) but this one sounds good. And I could totally do without murder subplots as well. It's fine if it's a straight-up romantic suspense book, but I don't want it in my regular historicals. Oh, and the cover is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like one I might like. Nice review Carrie. ( I ignore all that pesky murder stuff too lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read a book by this author. I need to pick up this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really sounds great! I like that the hero gets his pride from his job rather than his title.

    Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!