"The Three Colonels" Review

"The Three Colonels"
by Jack Caldwell

Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Release Date: March 1, 2012

Source: sent by publisher

My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Summary from goodreads.com:  




Love reigns supreme for our three brave colonels at the start of this epic tale. Colonels Buford, Fitzwilliam, and Brandon are enjoying their courtships and their early married lives with three beloved Jane Austen heroines. The couples lead tranquil lives- until Napoleon escapes from exile. While the military men set out to meet their destiny on the fields of Waterloo, Anne, Carolina, and Marriane defend their hearts against the fear of losing their loved ones.
My Review:

I try to limit the Jane Austen variations that I read because there are so many and some of them seem to be very repetitive. However, Jack Caldwell's books are on my must-read list. This book along with "Pemberley Ranch" have both been respectful to Jane Austen's vision while being completely new and different at the same time. Not an easy task!

While "Pemberley Ranch" was a completely different setting, "The Three Colonels" takes the original setting and time period of Austen's books, but still adds something new and different. The characters from different books interact, and we get to take a closer look at some of the secondary characters and what their life is like after the original books ended. The book focuses on three romances, all very different, and at different stages of love.

I was really caught up in all of the romances in the book, and very excited to see where their love would lead. I was less interested in the war aspects of the book, but it was all combined very well.

The stories intertwined very naturally, and it was nice to see the very different ways that all of the characters, and the three couples dealt with their issues.

Main Characters: 5/5
Supporting Characters: 4/5

Setting: 5/5

Romance: 5/5

Uniqueness: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Writing: 5/5



Bottom Line: Another truly refreshing Jane Austen variation from Jack Caldwell.
 

5 comments

  1. I do like that everyone knew each other :D So lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you just made me feel like I must read this and Pemberley Ranch.

    I agree with you that Austen variations can get very repetitive but this sounds quite original. To the wishlist it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually read few remakes because I really don't know where to start. This one seems intriguing and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review and wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for stopping by, Jack! The book was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!